The front-end module is the “window” of products online. This is the site of e-commerce itself, from which users can surf - in different ways - in the catalog, place orders to purchase goods, manage his account, get details about orders made in the past, etc.
The Back-end module is the real engine of K-nimbus. It is in close and direct communication with the front-end and with other external systems (including ERP, logistics, payment processors).
It is the back-end, for example, that interfaces with business systems for the retrieval of product data, which provides the front-end all the information on the articles to be published (codes, descriptions, additional attributes, prices, promotions, sales , etc..), which manages communication with the end customer via email or SMS, and so on.
The front-end can be seen as a module to display the information defined in the back end, as well as a tool to "facilitate" the purchase online (shopping cart, wish list, checkout process, etc.).
The layout, with all the elements that characterize it represents the "suit "that can be applied to the front end. The same font-end engine can then be dressed differently and present the user with a different metaphor to access the information, and purchase a different path, in essence, a different overall experience.
This aspect, which is very important in determining the character of an e-commerce (for example, provides ease of navigation and access to important information, the presence or absence of special and unique features, how to checkout), may also vary considerably with the same underlying engine. The description of the features that follows is, therefore, generic and mainly wants to give you an idea – even if quite complete - of the various possibilities offered by front-end engine.
Specifically, we can identify the following features:
Home page banner or specific features of "presentation" (eg, promotional banners, presentation of a product, editorial, etc.).
- Navigation pages by categories (multi-level category tree)
- "Home" category (each category can be associated with a particular page, devoted to a description of the same category). List products by category with filtering capabilities based on attributes defined on the items displayed (for example by size, color, family , waist line, light line, fit, material, etc.).
- Product detail page (images / code, name, description, attributes, price) with a choice of options (eg color / size).
- Cart / shopping bag, able to work on items (change quantities, remove) and move on to checkout.
- Wish list (save articles for future purchases and / or sharing with friends).
- Checkout (completion of purchase)
- Login to your account to take advantage of any information provided above to purchase a faster.
- Setting shipping and billing addresses (with the possible selection of a "address book")
- Selecting the mode of payment
- Confirmation order, with a first phase of authorization for payment verification and possible anti-fraud
- Managing user accounts
- Demographic information - viewing and editing
- Change password
- Manage Address Book
- Order history (with tracking capabilities of the shipment of an order)
- If so, how the mode of payment for a feature like "one click buy"
Additional features can, of course, be implemented and integrated front-end as needed.
The back end is the "heart" of e-commerce system.
It is, first of all, the point of origin and operation and maintenance of all data that can be viewed in the online shop (items with their attributes, category structure, promotional banners, etc.)... Using the form of back-end you can define, in addition, promotional campaigns, details on sales, presence (open and visible site) in a given country, and more.
The back end is also the engine management of orders from the moment they are captured by front-end. It is this component that communicates with Logistics to generate pick lists, handles any partial orders, charges the customer's credit card at time of shipment, manage any returns and so on.
The following features implemented in the back-end (unless otherwise specified, the data described below can be imported from external sources):
- Managing the list of nations that make the site accessible
- Manage catalog items
- Definition of one or more catalogs
- Multi-level hierarchy of categories
- Basic data products: code, name, brief description, long description (multi-language), internal cost
- Association-product categories (a product can belong to multiple categories)
- Definition of attributes and attribute groups: size, color, season, line, fit, leg line, occasion. The definition of the attributes is totally free and flexible, as you can create a virtually unlimited number of attributes with the desired characteristics. Each element thus defined can then be used as a filter criterion in the front-end.
- Defining cross-sell and up-sell
- Manage price lists multi-country and multi-currency
- Definition of promotions (eventually related to coupon codes to be inserted at checkout), with validity period
- Definition and management of the firm. For each country you can define different product groups and different discounts
- Imaging, with the possibility of automatic processing and with multiple images for each product and flexible size/resolution
- Banner management / media
- Order management process (unattended)
- New order from front-end
- Order confirmation notice to the client (multi language)
- Fraud evaluation
- Payment authorization (full amount)
- Generation (export) pick-list
- Import packing list
- Import shipment confirmation
- Invoice generation (single or multiple, depending on the presence of a tax representative in the country of destination of goods) - multi language
- Communication for dispatch to the customer order (multi language)
- Updated stock information, and push towards the front-end
- Send update information stock (T-Log) to any external systems
- Settlement / capture (credit card charge apply)
- Generation, if necessary, to confirm opening for RMA logistics / business systems
- Import QC results upon receipt of a Return (accepted, declined)
- Refund to the customer upon acceptance of a Return
- Enter accounting information, both synthetic and analytical.
- Order management functionality (interactive mode)
- List View orders
- Finding one or more orders on the basis of various criteria
- Viewing details of an order (customer data, ordered items, articles actually shipped, payment logs, returns, adjustment, feedback from users back office, e-mail sent to the customer)
- Creating and managing requests authorization (RMA)
- Creating adjustment (refund to the customer) and the related credit notes
- Re-send an email to the customer previously generated, or sending a new message based on a specific template
- Print invoices
- Business Intelligence and Reporting engine (with features of exports in various formats including Excel and PDF)
- Order List
- Sales list and shipments (with detail items)
- Invoices / Credit Notes
- VAT register (if necessary)
- Product Catalog with quantities in stock
- Price lists for product / country
- Profitability and margins
The whole platform infrastructure (back-end, front-end, database server) can be hosted “in the cloud”.